Sunday, January 17, 2010

25

A while back, facebook had this deal where you'd list 25 radom things about yourself. Even though I thought it was dumb idea to post it on facebook, I wrote my list kept it to myself. Now I'm posting it here, but since it's a blog, it's cool.

I am well aware of most of my limits, mainly because I've gone WAY past most of them. Several times.

Life balance is an elusive concept for me. I guess I've never been much of a multi-tasker.

If the beer mile (google it!) were a seriously contested event, I’m fairly certain I would finally be a world class athlete.My sister thinks that we are 99% polar opposites.

I think she might be surprised at how much we actually have in common.


For the past 7 years, my full time job has been coaching collegiate track and field.
Yes, it really is a full time gig, and no, I don’t also have to teach. I love it in the way that if I won 10 million dollars today, I’d still work 7 to 7 tomorrow without even thinking twice about it.

When someone asks me what my pet peeve is, I can’t even imagine where to begin.


I’d much rather beg forgiveness than ask permission.

It turns out I’m not much for compromise. For the most part, I do what I want when I want, and don’t do well when I have to take someone else’s feelings or agenda into account.

Commitment…yikes.

I’m pretty good at solving problems on the fly, and as such, I’m not much for plans or agendas. That being said, some of my most stressful times have come when I haven’t planned well enough. But dammit, stress sure can be exciting.

For the better part of my 20’s, I kept a journal.
I still do now, but not nearly as often. It’s an unusual feeling to go back and read stuff from 5 or 10 years ago.

Ten years ago, I would have told you I’d have it all figured out by now.
Turns out, the only thing I know now is that I have no idea what “it” even is.

I’ve filed taxes in four states – Pennsylvania, California, Wisconsin, and Illinois. That list will grow longer.

Helping someone else succeed is, without a doubt, the most fulfilling feeling I know.

A few years back, I had three athletes qualify for the NCAA National Championship meet.
One decathlete, one triple jumper, and one long jumper. None of them were ranked first going in, but all of them won the national championship in their respective events. That was a good day.

Most of my life has been immensely happy and rewarding, but the summer of 2006 might have been a few of the happiest months of my life. I wish I had the insight to realize it at the time.

I hate cold weather. No…seriously…I HATE cold weather.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve never felt comfortable in a church. However, I’ve had the opportunity to see some of the most beautiful and inspiring things in nature, and that, more than anything, has convinced me that somebody up there is running the show.

I trust that everything happens for a reason and everything works out in the end. If it hasn’t worked out yet, then it’s not the end.

Road trips are awesome.
There’s no greater feeling of freedom than cruising down the road, not sure of where your going or what you’ll do next. Many of my most fantastic experiences have started out that way.

My entire extended family lives within 15 minutes of each other near Pittsburgh and get along remarkably well. However, my sister and I still managed to find lives hundreds or thousands of miles away.

I’ll take a small college town over a big city any day.

My parents are cool people and look great for their age…let’s hope that runs in the family!

I find it tough to be happy with what I have right now.
It seems that I spend a lot of time wishing I still had something I left behind, or looking ahead for something bigger and better.

I make a conscience effort to be exceptional with even the most ordinary tasks. Not necessarily exceptional as in the best, but exceptional as in not following the status quo. One of my biggest fears is being just another typical guy in the crowd.


I still miss her.

No comments: