Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Disc Golf?

So I'm not so sure I'm proud of it, but it seems that I enjoy the pastime of disc golf. What is that, you ask? Well, pretty much as it sounds - its just like golf, but instead of using a club and ball, you just throw frisbees. Those "in the know" call them discs. Instead of holes they have "baskets" which slightly resemble basketball nets but their closer to the ground. Whatever.

You see, just before I left Redlands, the city put a small course in one of the local parks, and some friends and I got to playing fairly regularly. Now there is no chance that I will ever categorize this hobby as a sport, but it is something fun to do when you have some time and would like to take a lazy walk around a park.

Anyway, it just so happened that my first day in Milwaukee fell right in the middle of the Amateur Disc Golf World Championship that was taking place here in town. Wanting to take a break from unpacking and getting settled, I headed over to the local park that played host to this contest - which was just a short walk away. The following is a quick rundown of what I observed:
  • I didn't see one person without some sort of portable collapsable chair. And they sure used them. It occured to me that real golfers walk 18 without a chair, and it takes at least twice as long to do that.
  • Everyone had one of those big bags with more discs than I'd ever seen before. At least 20-25 discs per person. The bags even had backpack straps on them, to lessen the strain on their throwing arms, I suppose. Oh, and one guy had a baby jogger with all his gear in it, I guess he didn't want to strain his back.
  • I saw one guy actually make his drive with his right hand while holding a cigarette in his left. I'm pretty sure I saw him take a drag, throw the disc, and then blow it out. Keep in mind this is the WORLD championships. Sheesh.
  • There was a kid who took about 30 seconds eyeing up his drive, shuffled across the tee, and then proceeded to hold on to the disc way too long and threw it exactly 90 degrees away from the direction he intended. I let out a snort as I tried to refrain from laughing, hopefully he didn't hear me.
That being said, it was a very nice park and a neatly kept course, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Most were far more intense than I'll ever be when carrying fris...er...uh...discs, but for a relaxing afternoon or a cool down after a ride or run, disc golf might be just what the doctor ordered.

No comments: